Amanda-Users

Re: Inexplicable amandahostsauth failure

2003-01-16 06:05:48
Subject: Re: Inexplicable amandahostsauth failure
From: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:28:26 +0100
I've had auth problems with one of the hosts I'm backing up for some time; amcheck says

# amcheck -c ks

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
ERROR: bmw: [access as amanda not allowed from root@<server>] amandahostsauth failed

I found out what was going on after all; it turned out to be a hostname lookup issue. An official hostname for the Amanda server different from the one on most other machines would be returned on this particular host due to an extra entry in /etc/hosts. (The name usually comes from DNS.)

I guess I should list more of the alternative names (there are a lot due to local alias setup and because we have registered several names for our domain) in .amandahosts...

Question: Can I use regexps in the file?

- Toralf