Amanda-Users

Re: Trouble tar'ing large filesystems

2003-01-15 08:00:11
Subject: Re: Trouble tar'ing large filesystems
From: Christoph Scheeder <christoph.scheeder AT scheeder DOT de>
To: gareth AT howell.uk DOT com
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:44:39 +0100
Hi,
that is one of the limitations at the moment:
amanda can not spann a single archiv over multiple tapes.
You'll have to use exlucelists to split your big partition into
multiple smaler ones, preferably smaler than half of the capacity
of a single tape.
Christoph

gareth AT howell.uk DOT com schrieb:

Hi
I backup onto DDS-2 tapes, so have a limitation of about 3-4GB per tape.
The no of tapes is set to 2, so I should be able to backup 6-8GB per run.
However, I am unable to tar a single filesystem that is larger than the
predicted size of one tape.
When I try, I get the error:
  planner: localhost /home 20030115 0 [dump larger than tape, full dump
delayed]

The blocksize is set to 499MB, so surely amanda should tar in 499MB blocks
until it has done the whole filesystem and then dump it onto 2 tapes.

Gareth