Amanda-Users

amrestore problems after replacing tape drive

2003-01-15 08:09:09
Subject: amrestore problems after replacing tape drive
From: "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 14:24:10 +0200
Hello!

Please CC: any possible replies to me. I sent subscribe request a
couple of hours ago, but nothing seems to have happened yet.

I'm running Amanda 2.4.3b4 on FreeBSD 4.7. And yes, I understand that
'b' means beta.

Yesterday I replaced the tape drive in the backup server. The old drive
was HP C1537A (DDS3). The new drive is IBM DDS4, actually a re-badged
Seagate 0624 drive. I also started using DDS4 tapes. I made no changes
to any configuration files (yet). I'm using dump and restore as the
backup software. The drive is set to do hardware compression.

The backup ran for the first time tonight. The output that amdump sent
me after the backup looked entirely normal, and also I could restore
some files from the tape with amrecover. However, amverify is not
happy (see output at the end of message).

When I tried running amrestore directly from the command line, the
following happened:

kuller# amrestore /dev/nsa0 kuller.raad.tartu.ee /
amrestore: WARNING: not at start of tape, file numbers will be offset
amrestore:   0: reached end of information
kuller#

The messages are returned immediately, without any kind of delay I
imagined would be involved in dealing with the tape drive.

I ran 'mt status' and got the following:

kuller# mt status
Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  0x26:DDS-4           1024 bytes     97000    DCLZ
---------available modes---------
0:        0x26:DDS-4           1024 bytes     97000    DCLZ
1:        0x26:DDS-4           1024 bytes     97000    DCLZ
2:        0x26:DDS-4           1024 bytes     97000    DCLZ
3:        0x26:DDS-4           1024 bytes     97000    DCLZ
---------------------------------
Current Driver State: at rest.
---------------------------------
File Number: 0  Record Number: 64       Residual Count 0
kuller#

It seems that my tape drive uses 1k blocks. Assuming that this is the
same blocksize which is used by amrestore, I tried telling amrestore to
use it, but it refused:

kuller# amrestore -b 1k /dev/nsa0 kuller.raad.tartu.ee /
amrestore: minimum block size is 32k
kuller#

Is it possible that amrestore can't read the tape because it has been
written with too small blocksize? Or am I barking under completely
wrong tree here? It doesn't seem to be hardware problem, because, as I
said, I can back up with amdump and restore with amrecover, the only
thing that doesn't work is amrestore (and thus, amverify).

Unfortunately I don't remember what the blocksize reported by 'mt
status' was with the old HP DDS3 drive.

Finally, as promised, here's tonight's amverify output.

-----------------< cut here >-------------------------
Tapes:  PAEV11
Errors found:
PAEV11 ():
amrestore: WARNING: not at start of tape, file numbers will be offset
amrestore:   0: reached end of information
** No header
0+0 in
0+0 out
PAEV11 ():
[...]

amverify PAEV
Tue Jan 14 23:16:55 EET 2003

Using device /dev/nsa0
Volume PAEV11, Date 20030114
Checked kuller.raad.tartu.ee._var.20030114.0
** Error detected ()
amrestore: WARNING: not at start of tape, file numbers will be offset
amrestore:   0: reached end of information
** No header
0+0 in
0+0 out
Checked heerold.raad.tartu.ee._.20030114.0
** Error detected ()
amrestore: WARNING: not at start of tape, file numbers will be offset
amrestore:   0: reached end of information
** No header
0+0 in
0+0 out
Checked kuller.raad.tartu.ee._usr.20030114.0
** Error detected ()
amrestore: WARNING: not at start of tape, file numbers will be offset
amrestore:   0: reached end of information
** No header
0+0 in
0+0 out
Checked kuller.raad.tartu.ee._.20030114.0
** Error detected ()
amrestore: WARNING: not at start of tape, file numbers will be offset
amrestore:   0: reached end of information
** No header
0+0 in
0+0 out
Checked heerold.raad.tartu.ee._var.20030114.0
** Error detected ()
amrestore: WARNING: not at start of tape, file numbers will be offset
amrestore:   0: reached end of information
** No header
0+0 in
0+0 out
Checked heerold.raad.tartu.ee._usr.20030114.0
** Error detected ()
amrestore: WARNING: not at start of tape, file numbers will be offset
amrestore:   0: reached end of information
** No header
0+0 in
0+0 out
Too many errors. Advancing past the last tape...
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* If you think education's expensive, try ignorance.