Amanda-Users

Re: dumpcycle - amanda with a mind of its own

2003-01-10 19:39:49
Subject: Re: dumpcycle - amanda with a mind of its own
From: Deb Baddorf <baddorf AT fnal DOT gov>
To: Marvin Davenport <mdavenpo1 AT yahoo DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 17:52:14 -0600

 it seems amanda does do a level 0 more
often than 7 days on almost every server, no matter what I put for
runcycle or dumpcycle

This  triggers a memory.  Maybe you are having the problem I had --
or something like it.

------------
I was doing something I didn't realize was a problem.
It's a scope and nesting issue.
Perhaps other may benefit from my goof:

global file:
    define dumptype AAA   {}

ERRONEOUS config file:
    include global file
    dumpcycle 1 week
    define dumptype BBB {AAA;  then more stuff}

ERRONEOUS diskfile:
    node      disk     BBB     #this is fine;  uses dumpcycle 7 days = 1week
node2 disk2 AAA # NOT ok; uses some default dumpcycle of 10 days

The FIX:
config file:
     include global file
     dumpcycle 1 week
     define dumptype BBB  {AAA;  more stuff}
     define dumptype CCC  {AAA}

You may use BBB or CCC   but do not ever use AAA directly in a disklist.

It's a scope and nesting issue.
AAA has only heard of the *default*  value for dumpcycle.

Deb Baddorf

Deb Baddorf         baddorf AT fnal DOT gov              840-2289
"You can't help getting older, but you don't have to get old."
- George Burns                                          <IXOYE><