Amanda-Users

Apple pains...

2003-01-03 16:53:56
Subject: Apple pains...
From: Riccardo Parola <rick AT rpwebworks DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 16:18:52 -0500
Not sure this is really Amanda related, but I'm sure someone here ran into the
same problem.

I'm trying to back up 2 linux servers and one windows 2000 server with amanda.
There are a few Macs on the network, storing files in those servers.

Machintosh will let users save files with about any name they choose I have
users that didn't know better and started saving files with dates in the name
in the format "filename 12/31/02" and others with dots at the end eg: "ACME
Inc." on top of unrecognized characters and the list goes on!

Now when I try to mount those shares in linux any character that is "illegal"
is replaced with a question mark when listed but of course is not found if
called

$ls
ACME INC?

$mv ACME INC? ACME INC
mv: cannot stat `ACME INC?': No such file or directory

I guess it's out of the question to write a shell script to rename those. Has
anyone had to deal with this and how?
Also, is there any shell scripts to clean the drive from all those
resource.frk etc that mac drops allover the place?

Thanks in advance for any help
And a Happy New Year to all amanda users!

--

Riccardo Parola
RPWebworks