Amanda-Users

Installing amanda-client on a Mac OSX workstation

2003-01-03 16:01:04
Subject: Installing amanda-client on a Mac OSX workstation
From: David Raistrick <drais AT wow.atlasta DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 12:20:03 -0800 (PST)
Hey folks.

I've successfully done this on 4 OSX machines now, all v10.1+.  I figure
this'll help out those who need it.  (there sure wasn't much information
available when I started!)

First, you'll need at least one OSX machine with the developers kit
installed, since you need to compile amanda-client and gnutar from source.

The vendor dump WILL NOT WORK if you need to dump OS9 disks (as I do).  i
recommend using tar.  Also, there used to be no vendor restore..though
there is now.  I've not tried these.

This is mostly a step-by-step covering what I do. Note that I've only done
this as "root".  You're welcome to experiment with getting this to work as
another user.

First I install gnutar (v1.13.25 as of this writing) with the following:

 ./configure  --program-prefix=gnu
 make install clean

Next, I install amanda-2.4.2p2.  All later versions through 2.4.3b2 had
various problems when I tried them that I was unable to work through.

The sources will require a change to amanda-2.4.2p2/config/config.guess.
I've included a short patch at the bottom of this message, or you can make
the change by hand.

Add, just after the "*:Rhapsody:*:*)" section:

     Power*:Darwin:*:*)
         echo powerpc-apple-rhapsody${UNAME_RELEASE}
         exit 0 ;;
     *:Darwin:*:*)
         echo ${UNAME_MACHINE}-apple-rhapsody${UNAME_RELEASE}
         exit 0 ;;

To apply the patch:
        mv amandaosx.patch amanda-2.4.2p2/config
        cd amanda-2.4.2p2/config
        patch < amandaosx.patch
        cd ..

Next compile amanda: (some of these are set as they are to stay in sync
 with the rest of my FreeBSD based servers.)

        ./configure  --libexecdir=/usr/local/libexec/amanda \
        --with-amandahosts --with-fqdn --with-dump-honor-nodump \
        --with-buffered-dump --with-user=root --with-group=wheel \
        --without-server --disable-libtool --prefix=/usr/local \
        --with-gnutar=/usr/local/bin/gnutar

        make install

Next,  we need to add the apropriate information to inetd.conf and HUP
inetd: (yes, this works.)

        cp /etc/inetd.conf /etc/inetd.conf.old
        echo \
        "amanda dgram udp wait root /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amandad amandad"\
        >> /etc/inetd.conf
        killall -HUP -m inetd

Now we add some files and permissions that we need:

        touch /etc/amandates
        chown root:operator /etc/amandates
        chmod g+w /etc/amandates
        mkdir /usr/local/var/
        mkdir /usr/local/var/amanda/
        mkdir /usr/local/var/amanda/gnutar-lists
        chown -R root:operator /usr/local/var/amanda
        echo "my.backup.server operator" > ~root/.amandahosts

At this point you should be able to add your disklist entries just as you
would for anything else that uses tar.  Two examples:

leonardo.mydomain.com   /Users/jason    comp-user-tar
limpid.mydomain.com     /               comp-user-tar

Spaces in pathnames have caused me trouble in the past and I don't recall
if I found a workaround...I don't have any in use at this point.

And that's pretty much it.  If anyone has any questions feel free to email
me.

---
david raistrick
drais AT atlasta DOT net                http://www.expita.com/nomime.html