Amanda-Users

Re: Apple pains... and smb problem, please help!!

2003-01-08 13:18:17
Subject: Re: Apple pains... and smb problem, please help!!
From: Riccardo Parola <rick AT rpwebworks DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 12:35:57 -0500
Followup: the commands suggested below didn't work for me, maybe I'm missing
something but piping to 'cat -vet' returned the same with a $ at the end of
each file but kept the ? in place of unrecognised/illegal characters.

Vaccaro Jewelers$
Van Doren 02?09$
Vecchitto, Jim$
Velocity, Inc?$

piping to 'od' returns a bunch of numbers I have no Idea what to make of (I
guess a little over my head).

The dot at the end of the file does seem to be a problem, see Velocity, Inc.
above (as far as I can see it is a true dot, just the '.' on the mac
keyboard... the same dot I would use in file.txt-which would work fine.))

I know... what are my users thinking, naming files like that...

For the slashes in the filenames I wrote dropplets and run them on a mac to
replace '/' with '_', pain, it's taking forever to clean the 60GB worth of
dirs but I think that will do.

As for amanda's reaction to it, it's a "STRANGE":

"FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  localhost  //LEELOO/Typesetting lev 0 FAILED [disk //LEELOO/Typesetting
offline on localhost?]
  localhost  //LEELOO/Public lev 0 STRANGE"

Reason for the "strange":

"? NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND opening remote file \Brenda\Icon_
(\Brenda\)
? NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND opening remote file \Brenda\St. Augustine HL
Cat. Pg 8_.sea (\Brenda\)
? NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND opening remote file \Cindy\Al Winter BC
11_02.pdf (\Cindy\)"

The list is miles long...

Funny thing, the strange chars are replaced with '_' by amanda in the email
report.
Even if i didn't care about backing apple ICON files and files that aren't
named right I would still have a problem as Amanda will try to do a FULL
backup again the next day, I guess since there was a problem with this one it
won't switch to incremental.

As you see above, the other problem I'm having is one of the shares (on
windows machine) is that it appears "disconnected" to amanda.
I do have the right entry in /etc/amandapass, if I try to
'smbmount //LEELOO/Typesetting /mnt/Typesetting user=backup'
it asks for backup's password and mounts it fine. (backup is a user on the win
machine with admin power)

I'm getting stomped and tired of trying, did anyone face these issues? Am I
the only one with mac computers on the network dumping garbage files and
users that don't know any better than naming files this way? Any pointers
would really be appreciated.

Any commercial software that would solve the problem?

TIA
Rick