Amanda-Users

Re: Latest amcheck reports error with rwx------ dirs

2003-01-03 00:02:16
Subject: Re: Latest amcheck reports error with rwx------ dirs
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 23:33:48 -0500
On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 11:34:44PM +0000, David Trusty wrote:
> Jon,
>
> Thanks for replying to my question.
>
> I think I know the cause of the messages.  See if you agree with this
> theory:
>
> Even though amanda does not run as root, the tar command which archives
> everything does run as root.  (I believe this is true because I have
> individual files
> which have 700 permissions which do get archived.)
>
> However, when the amcheck command is run, it is not running as root, and if
> the directory ("disk" in my case) being archived has permission 700, an
> extraneous
> error message is printed.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Thanks!!
>
> David
>

> >On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 09:33:48PM +0000, David Trusty wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Even though the amcheck command is setuid root, it reports
> >> an error on directories with rwx------ (700) permissions.
> >> It says "could not access <dir> : permission denied".
> >>
> >> I believe this behavior is new to the 2.4.3 release.
> >>
> >> Is there a patch available?
> >
> >Most likely it is complaining about specific directories that
> >should not be 700.  Remember that amanda does NOT run as root.
> >amcheck is detecting things that will cause errors.
> >--

Come on David.  Don't keep us in the dark.
Let us see the error message.
What directory is amcheck complaining about?
I suggested it may be complaining about a
specific directory that should not be 700?
Is it?  We can not tell without your input.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)