Amanda-Users

Re: Latest amcheck reports error with rwx------ dirs

2003-01-02 19:10:09
Subject: Re: Latest amcheck reports error with rwx------ dirs
From: "David Trusty" <dwtrusty AT hotmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 23:34:44 +0000
Jon,

Thanks for replying to my question.

I think I know the cause of the messages.  See if you agree with this
theory:

Even though amanda does not run as root, the tar command which archives
everything does run as root. (I believe this is true because I have individual files
which have 700 permissions which do get archived.)

However, when the amcheck command is run, it is not running as root, and if
the directory ("disk" in my case) being archived has permission 700, an extraneous
error message is printed.

What do you think?

Thanks!!

David

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 09:33:48PM +0000, David Trusty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Even though the amcheck command is setuid root, it reports
> an error on directories with rwx------ (700) permissions.
> It says "could not access <dir> : permission denied".
>
> I believe this behavior is new to the 2.4.3 release.
>
> Is there a patch available?

Most likely it is complaining about specific directories that
should not be 700.  Remember that amanda does NOT run as root.
amcheck is detecting things that will cause errors.