Amanda-Users

recover oddities on SCO Openserver, solved

2003-01-02 18:20:43
Subject: recover oddities on SCO Openserver, solved
From: Josh More <jmore AT remote-print DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 16:57:21 -0600
This was going to be a big long email about how things weren't working,
but the recover program didn't work because I didn't rewind the tape
before running it.  More "gotcha's" for SCO Openserver 5, so that they
can make into the list archive and potentially help others:

* amrecover does not rewind the tape for you.  I'm sure that there
  is a good reason for this, but I don't know what it is.  You have
  to rewind the tape first, then run the command.

* On SCO Openserver 5, the 'mt' command does not handle the rewinding
  of the tape.  You have to use 'tape rewind <tapedevice>'

* Because of the oddities with hostname on mentioned earlier, the
  recovery app doesn't properly automount.  You must use the
  'sethost' and 'setdisk' commands.

* Oddly, when you've navigated to what you want to restore, add it,
  and extract it, it does the extract from the disk level, not the
  directory you were in when you added it.  Not a big problem, but
  it caused a wee bit of confusion.

That being said, I am pleased to report success on SCO Openserver 5
with configuration, installation, backing up both locally and over
the network (from linux), and restoring locally.

My next tests will involve compression, remote recover, and backing
up windows machines via SAMBA.

Thanks for all your help thus far.

-Josh
jmore AT remote-print DOT com