Amanda-Users

Re: recover oddities on SCO Openserver, solved

2003-01-06 12:06:40
Subject: Re: recover oddities on SCO Openserver, solved
From: Josh More <jmore AT remote-print DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 10:03:02 -0600
>>* The hostname that amanda detects on SCO Openserver does not match the
>>  hostname that is reported by 'hostname' or 'uname -a'.
>
>Can you post an example?  This might be simple calling the wrong routine
>on SCO to get the host name (more OS differences as mentioned above).

uname -a
SCO_SV cclcsup 3.2 5.0.6 i386 unknown

However:

/usr/local/sbin/amrecover Daily
AMRECOVER Version 2.4.3. Contacting server on cclcsup ...
220 cclcsup AMANDA index server (2.4.3) ready.
200 Access OK
Setting restore date to today (2003-01-06)
200 Working date set to 2003-01-06.
200 Config set to Daily.
501 No index records for host: cclcsup.remote-print.com. Invalid?
Trying host cclcsup ...
200 Dump host set to cclcsup.
Can't determine disk and mount point from $CWD
'/home/development/3rdparty_tools/amanda-2.4.3'

If I do a 'sethost cclcsup', it works.
I am going to try setting up a local DNS, (since we should really have one
anyway)
and see if that solves the problem.

>>* Oddly, when you've navigated to what you want to restore, add it,
>>  and extract it, it does the extract from the disk level, not the
>>  directory you were in when you added it.  Not a big problem, but
>>  it caused a wee bit of confusion.
>
>Huh?  Again, can you show an example.
>
>In general, if you told Amanda to back up disk "/usr" and one of the files
>backed up was "/usr/a/b/xxx", then if you start amrecover in directory
>"/tmp/restore", the file brought back will be "/tmp/restore/a/b/xxx".
>In other words, things backed up only know themselves relative to the
>top level being processed (i.e. "a/b/xxx"), and they should come back
>relative to whatever directory you do the restore into.

Continuing from amrecover above:

amrecover> sethost cclcsup
200 Dump host set to cclcsup.
amrecover> setdisk /home
Scanning /usr/local/amanda/dumps...
200 Disk set to /home.
amrecover> ls
2003-01-03 .
2003-01-03 development/
2003-01-03 todo/
2003-01-03 users/
amrecover> cd users
/home/users
amrecover> ls
2003-01-03 .
2003-01-03 andrew-backup/
2003-01-03 andrew/
amrecover> add andrew
Added dir /users/andrew at date 2003-01-03
amrecover> extract

Extracting files using tape drive /dev/nrStp0 on host cclcsup.
The following tapes are needed: DailySet101

Restoring files into directory /home/development/3rdparty_tools/amanda-2.4.3
Continue [?/Y/n]?

Extracting files using tape drive /dev/nrStp0 on host cclcsup.
Load tape DailySet101 now
Continue [?/Y/n/t]?
./users/andrew/
amrecover> quit
200 Good bye.

ls -al
drwxr-xr-x  18 1029     203          1024 Jan  6 08:47 .
drwxr-xr-x  17 root     sys           512 Dec 27 11:52 ..
drwxr-xr-x   3 andrew   users         512 Jan  6 08:47 users

ls -al users
total 3
drwxr-xr-x   3 andrew   users         512 Jan  6 08:47 .
drwxr-xr-x  18 1029     203          1024 Jan  6 08:47 ..
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     sys           512 Jan  6 08:47 andrew

>>* When GNU tar is installed off the skunkware CD, it appears as
>>  /usr/local/bin/tar.  Amanda apparently looks for gtar.
>
>Not sure what you mean here.  If you ran ./configure yourself, it should
>have hunted around and found this version of tar (as Jean-Louis said).
>If, however, you're running a pre-built version of Amanda, all bets are
>off about how the person who put it together set things up.

SCO Openserver ships with it's own version of tar:
/usr/bin/tar -> /opt/K/SCO/Unix/5.0.6Ga/usr/bin/tar

Installing skunkware installs GNU tar as:
/usr/local/bin/tar -> /opt/K/SKUNK2000/Tar/1.12/usr/local/bin/tar

My guess is that the configure script detected the wrong tar.  specifying
the location of tar with the  --with-gnutar  option works, as does
making a symlink of: /usr/local/bin/gtar -> /usr/local/bin/tar

-Josh