Amanda-Users

Tape labelling and strategy

2002-11-29 04:55:42
Subject: Tape labelling and strategy
From: marc.bigler AT day DOT com
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:16:02 +0100
Hello,

I would like to rotate between multiple sets of 8 tapes because my changer
supports maximum 8 tapes. So I have defined the following in my
amanda.conf:

dumpcycle 5 days
runspercycle 5
tapecycle 8
runtapes 2

When one set of 8 tapes is finished I will take it offsite and then start
up with the next set, I plan to have maybe 5 sets which i will constantly
rotate which means overwritting stuff. What kind of labelling should I use
for that ? I was thinking of something like

nameXX-Y

where XX is the tape number
where Y is the set letter, for example:

mysite03-B

that would be tape number 4 from set B

or should I simply use "nameXX" ? But then AMANDA won't keep any history of
the other sets... What do you think ?

Regards
Marc