Amanda-Users

Newbie and backup scheme... comments pls

2002-11-28 20:07:06
Subject: Newbie and backup scheme... comments pls
From: "Joffer" <joffer AT online DOT no>
To: "Amanda Users List" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 01:22:28 +0100
I just got 7 tapes and an old scsi tape streamer from a friend. I will
be installing Amanda and was thinking I would use the following backup
scheme.

The 7 tapes are "devided" into:
2 Tapes OFF-Site
4 tapes = 4 weeks , mon-sat = incred, sun = full dump
1 - backup tape just in case

The backup-scheme would be like this.

First I run a full backup using the 1st of 2 OFF-SIte tapes. I think I
should create a second config for manuel archiving, wouldn't that be
the best solution?
Then, I'd let the backupcycle begin:
1st of 4 Cycle tapes: Midnight each Monday to saturday -
changed/new files only Midnight Sunday - Full backup -
Eject backup - insert 2nd of 4 Cycle tapes
2nd of 4 Cycle tapes:   same schedule as 1st tape of course.
3... same as 2nd etc
4.... etc
1..... etc
2...... etc

and when my schedule or my instincts tell me it's time for a new full
off-site backup I do a manual full backup on 2nd of 2 OFF-Site tapes
while my normal cycle goes as normal (if I remember to insert the
cycle tape again after I've done a manual one :)

Since I've never used a tape streamer before and not very much into
the backup-scheme, I'm asking for comments on my backup-scheme. I'de
also very much like to get input on how to achieve this.. can't say I
understand the runspercycle and typecycles etc just yet..

/Christopher