Amanda-Users

recovering smoebody elses file format

2002-11-28 12:13:30
Subject: recovering smoebody elses file format
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 11:24:42 -0500
Hi folks;

This here is about as off the wall a question as you'll get on this
list, but I'm having crawlies troubles with the x10 program 'heyu',
which occasionally goes berzerkers, hogging the whole machine to
its knees and making a 200 megabyte addition to its logfile in
about a minute,  and in looking at that code which actually talks
to the cm11a interface, it doesn't look anything like the well
tuned code Jim Hines and I wrote in arexx for the amiga program
ezhome.

Unforch, the closest I can come to reading the amiga program today
is to recover from tapes the Diavolo Pro backup program made of
this about 18 months back up the log.   The tapes don't appear to
have been compressed, as so far all the filenames and string
contents of  a file seem to be in plaintext english.  It appears
there is a 1k tape header, two empty filemarks, then an
approximately 9 meg index, which must be followed by a single file
resembling a tarball as dd has now read over a gig without stopping
at the next filemark.

So my question to the group once I've reduced this to a hard drive
file, does anyone have any clues how one would go about untarring
it since tar simply complains about obsolete base64 headers and
goes away?

I'm sure that this index file contains all the info required to
recover from the main, big file (its over a gig now and dd is still
plowing along) but I've NDI how to parse it so I could drive a
splitter util to break it up into filesized hunks.

Has anyone in a past life ever done this?

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M