Amanda-Users

Re:Large partitions (2 Gigabyte +)

2002-11-28 15:36:45
Subject: Re:Large partitions (2 Gigabyte +)
From: Vytas Janusauskas <vytas AT dendron DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 15:09:44 -0500
Hi Folks,

I am trying to backup about 20 Windows (Win95/Win98/Nt6) computers using Amanda version 2.4.2p2.

I mount the Windows drives via Samba without any problem. When I try to backup a mount point ie. \Dosworld\Pent14\e which is 4.1 Gb in size. I get the following log output:

START planner date 20021127
INFO planner Adding new disk backup:/dosworld/pent14/e.
START driver date 20021127
START taper datestamp 20021127 label Daily01 tape 0
FINISH planner date 20021127
STATS driver startup time 64.044
FAIL dumper backup /dosworld/pent14/e 0 ["data write: File too large"]
  sendbackup: start [backup:/dosworld/pent14/e level 0]
  sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/tar
  sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/bin/gzip -dc |/bin/tar -f... -
  sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
  sendbackup: info end
INFO taper tape Daily01 kb 0 fm 0 [OK]
FINISH driver date 20021127 time 7526.614

Looking at the Google listings it would seem to fail due to the holding disk which has 26 Gigabytes of free space does not support images greater than 2 Gigabytes in size. The holding disk type is ext2. What do I have to do to allow me to backup larger chunks to tape? My tape drive is the Exabyte 8505 with a capacity of about 7 Gigabytes.

When I list the /dosworld/pent14/e individual root directories in the disklist the data seems to get written to tape. My next step is to verify that the data on tape is in fact readable.

Thanks,

Vytas

Vytas Janusauskas
Dendron Resource Surveys Inc.