Amanda-Users

Re: backups mirrored to remote tape (or just host)

2002-11-28 09:25:50
Subject: Re: backups mirrored to remote tape (or just host)
From: "C. Chan" <cchan AT surya.bsd.uchicago DOT edu>
To: Paul Jakma <paulj AT alphyra DOT ie>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 07:44:03 -0600 (CST)
Also Sprach Paul Jakma:

> ooh wow. RAIT can do RAID1 aswell as RAID3 (or is it 4?)? yippee!

Yes, it can. Do a search on Marc Mengel's posts on the Amanda
list from about a month ago. Just list two tape drives using
the rait: driver. If you list a third it will do RAIT 4, if
the third tape device is null: it will toss away parity
and do a RAIT 0 across two drives (with the overhead of the
parity calculation however).

> unfortunately we dont.. so RAIT wont work. the mirror and the local
> tape backup have to be decoupled. :(

How does your bandwidth compare with just doing RAIT 1 on site
and shipping the tapes offsite? If you want Amanda to write to
a tape drive off site over a low-bandwidth link then it will
be very slow and you won't really be mirroring. That remote
tape drive won't do much for you unless you can stream to it;
LTO or SuperDLT may stream at 20MBps but if your link is
only 128kbps be prepared to watch that tape drive backhitch
and shoeshine like an American blue collar laborer under the
Bush Jr. economy.

> (either that or we have to find a rainbow with a pot of gold so we can
> buy fibre across the irish sea! :) )

The FedEx leprechauns might be satisfied with less.

> regards,
> --
> Paul Jakma    Sys Admin       Alphyra
>       paulj AT alphyra DOT ie
> Warning: /never/ send email to spam AT dishone DOT st or trap AT dishone DOT
> st

----
C. Chan <c-chan AT uchicago DOT edu>
GPG Public Key  ( pgp.mit.edu | finger cchan AT vader.bsd.uchicago DOT edu )
"Lif is laene: eal sceaceth, leoht ond lif samod"