Amanda-Users

backups mirrored to remote tape (or just host)

2002-11-28 01:16:20
Subject: backups mirrored to remote tape (or just host)
From: Paul Jakma <paulj AT alphyra DOT ie>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 05:35:55 +0000 (GMT)
hi,

we use amanda extensively for backups, and are very pleased with it
(thanks!).

we have a disaster recovery site, and we would like somehow to get our
daily backups sent over to our DR site and onto the tape library
there (in addition to our local library).

however, i'm stumped as to the best way to do it. I'd really like for
dumps in the holding disk to essentially go to 2 places as seamlessly
as possible, but i cant see how to do it.

What'd be nice is if:

        driver could support multiple 'tapedev' commands and start a
        taper for each 'tapedev'. (ie move parsing of tapedev out of
        taper - add mgt of multiple tapers to driver. i could write my
        own amanda 'vtape' drivers to do the rest.)

or:

        there was some kind of API to allow driver to launch a
        programme when a dump to holding disk finishes, so that
        i could write something to copy/etc.. the file. ie:

        driver:
                - notified that dumper X finishes
                - launches programme
                - when it finishes, driver proceeds with deleting that
                  holding file

any thoughts? what would be simplest/best to implement? (and any
guidance from amanda internals gurus?)

regards,
--
Paul Jakma      Sys Admin       Alphyra