Amanda-Users

Re: chg-scsi coredumps when enabling barcode reader.

2002-11-18 12:17:51
Subject: Re: chg-scsi coredumps when enabling barcode reader.
From: Galen Johnson <gjohnson AT trantor DOT org>
To: Kirill Alder-Ponazdyr <quak AT mydiax DOT ch>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 11:42:11 -0500
Kirill Alder-Ponazdyr wrote:

An update to this problem:

When I run amanda as root user this does not happen.

I wonder why, amanda user has all rights on tape devices and loader device (it is in sys
group). It is also the owner of configuration, debug, log and so on directories, the
"amanda" group is allowed to execute every single binary from amanda directory.

Again, it does work when no barcode reading is involved, what is so special in
chg-scsi to require root rights when it has to access barcode reader ?

Regards

Kirill Alder-Ponazdyr
SGI / SUN UNIX Consultant
Codeangels Solutions

Phone : +41 43 844 90 10
Fax   : +41 43 844 90 12
Mobile: +41 79 370 89 30

Perhaps the barcode device has different ownership/permissions/group than the rest of the devices? I don't have a barcode reader device so I'm just throwing out possiblities...

=G=