Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Backup taking to long

2002-11-14 18:50:33
Subject: Re: Amanda Backup taking to long
From: Niall O Broin <niall AT magicgoeshere DOT com>
To: Amanda-users-list <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 23:05:11 +0000
On Thursday 14 November 2002 21:16, Kathy Ange wrote:

> I am a newbie, I have just run my fist dump on the
> server only, and it is taking way to long.  So I
> figure I have something configured incorrectly.  I
> tried looking in FAQ but didn't see anything, so here
> I am.  I know it takes to long As I ran a manual
> backup (ufsdump line commands) of the same area and it
> only took 12 minutes,using amanda over 90 minutes.

ufsdump simply does ufsdump. Amanda OTOH has to do an estimate, do the dump
via gzip to compress it, and then write the dump to tape. If your holding
disk is smaller than the sum of your two biggest disklist entries (I see you
only have 2GB of holding space allocated) then you run the risk of having to
do dumps direct to tape, which is slow particularly when using server
compression as you are as you won't be able to keep the tape streaming. Then
of course there's the amanda overhead i.e the time taken for amanda to do its
things e.g. write indices etc. other than just the backup

All these factors together are what makes Amanda slower than straight ufsdump
for this simple case. If you're using amanda in a more normal configuration
i.e. where she's backing up numerous clients to one tape device with
sufficient holding space allocated, then she is quite fast because she has
multiple clients dumping to the server and then one process on the server
keeping the tape drive going at full speed.

Kindest regards,

Niall  O Broin