Amanda-Users

Amanda Backup taking to long

2002-11-14 17:09:18
Subject: Amanda Backup taking to long
From: Kathy Ange <kathyange AT yahoo DOT com>
To: Amanda-users-list <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 13:16:50 -0800 (PST)
I am a newbie, I have just run my fist dump on the
server only, and it is taking way to long.  So I
figure I have something configured incorrectly.  I
tried looking in FAQ but didn't see anything, so here
I am.  I know it takes to long As I ran a manual
backup (ufsdump line commands) of the same area and it
only took 12 minutes,using amanda over 90 minutes.

I am running on Solaris 8, with a Sony AIT-2 tape
drive, and the server is an E250.

Here is my amanda.conf file
org "daily"             # your organization name for reports
mailto "kange amanda"   # space separated list of
operators at your site
dumpuser "amanda"       # the user to run dumps under
inparallel 4            # maximum dumpers that will run in
parallel (max 63)
netusage  2000 Kbps     # maximum net bandwidth for
Amanda, in KB per sec
dumpcycle 1 weeks       # the number of days in the normal
dump cycle
runspercycle 6          # the number of amdump runs in
dumpcycle days
tapecycle 10 tapes      # the number of tapes in rotation
bumpsize 50 Mb          # minimum savings (threshold) to bump
level 1 -> 2
bumpdays 2              # minimum days at each level
bumpmult 2              # threshold = bumpsize *
bumpmult^(level-1)
etimeout 300            # number of seconds per filesystem for
estimates.
dtimeout 1800           # number of idle seconds before a dump
is aborted.
ctimeout 30             # maximum number of seconds that amcheck
waits
tapebufs 20
runtapes 1              # number of tapes to be used in a single
run of amdump
tapedev "/dev/rmt/1bn"  # the no-rewind tape device to
be used
tapetype Sony-AIT-2     # what kind of tape it is (see
tapetypes below)
labelstr "^Sun[0-9][0-9][0-9]*$"        # label constraint
regex: all tapes must match
holdingdisk hd1 {
    comment "main holding disk"
    directory "/AMANDA/hold"    # where the holding disk
is
    use 2 Gb            # how much space can we use on it
                        # a non-positive value means:
                        #        use all space but that value
    chunksize 1Gb       # size of chunk if you want big
dump to be
                        # dumped on multiple files on holding disks
                        #  N Kb/Mb/Gb split images in chunks of size N
                        #             The maximum value should be
                        #             (MAX_FILE_SIZE - 1Mb)
                        #  0          same as INT_MAX bytes
    }

infofile "/var/adm/amanda/daily/curinfo"        # database
DIRECTORY
logdir   "/var/adm/amanda/daily"                # log directory
indexdir "/var/adm/amanda/daily/index"          # index
directory

define tapetype Sony-AIT-2 {
    comment "SDX-500C"
    length 54538 mbytes
    filemark 1541 kbytes
    speed 2920 kbytes           # dito
}

define dumptype global {
    comment "Global definitions"
}
#########  Amanda Server Dump Types ##################
# this is for regular partitions on the amanda server
define dumptype Scomp {
    comment "Amanda Server filesystem"
    compress server best
    index yes
    strategy standard
    priority medium
}

#This is for the root direct, because that is where
the holding disk is
define dumptype Scomp-nohold {
    comment "Amanda Server root filesystem straight to
tape"
    compress server best
    index yes
    strategy standard
    holdingdisk no
    priority medium
}

Here is my disklist file
# hostname      diskdevice      dumptype        spindle interface
strawbwrries    /export/home    Scomp
strawberries    /               Scomp-nohold

Any suggestion would be appreciated

=====
Kathy Ange
Virginia Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services
Information Systems
(804) 786-1340 Voice Mail
(804) 786-2110 FAX