Amanda-Users

Re: incomplete backups

2002-11-13 18:22:06
Subject: Re: incomplete backups
From: Niall O Broin <niall AT magicgoeshere DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 22:08:48 +0000
On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:20:32PM -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:

> > Nothing to do with the system at all. It's just a little something added
> > into the script which runs amanda each day - I presume at least 95% of
> > amanda users run amanda from a cron driven script. A couple of lines in that
> > /those (if you run more than one config) script(s) and bingo - indices
> > safely squirelled away.
>
> I think Gene was refering to his backup on Linux missing things like
> amanda.conf, tapelist, disklist, ...  He attributed this to tar "honoring"
> locks on these files during backup.  I noted to him that my backups on
> Solaris do not seem to lack these files.

I'm not sure that was it at all. There's no reason on earth for amanda to
issue any kind of a lock on amanda.conf, tapelist, disklist during backup
and anyway I don't think tar even looks at such locks - like Frank, I
sometimes get tar errors against index files - no biggie. But certainly on
my Linux setup, I checked with my   amfind  script and amanda.conf is backed
up. (In fact I've a bazillion amanda.conf files in various place - must go
on a cleanup). I thought Gene was bemoaning the fact that he didn't have
copies of those files somewhere handy other than on his tapes (so that he
first had to restore them from there before he could find out what was on
what tape). But I'm sure Gene will clarify matters for us.

Regards,

Niall  O Broin