Amanda-Users

Re: incomplete backups

2002-11-13 11:39:01
Subject: Re: incomplete backups
From: Niall O Broin <niall AT magicgoeshere DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:52:25 +0000
On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 10:06:58AM -0500, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

> This is exactly why my nightly backup script, after running the amdumps
> and rewinding/ejecting the tapes, tars up all the amanda config files and
> directories.  That tar ball then gets put two places (on two separate
> machines), each of which are backed up.  So, if my amanda server
> completely dies, I'll still have my complete config and set up as of last
> night.

I'm not quite that paranoid, but I do copy all of that to a separate disk in
my backup server after the backup. In hindsight, I really should copy it to
another machine or two, or maybe write it to a CD - the backup server has a
CDRW. But really, I would have thought that having the indices on at the
least more than one disk was just normal common sense backup procedure.

Niall