Amanda-Users

Re: incomplete backups

2002-11-13 13:57:19
Subject: Re: incomplete backups
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:20:32 -0500
On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 04:59:19PM +0000, Niall O Broin wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 11:14:40AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> > >This is exactly why my nightly backup script, after running the
> > > amdumps and rewinding/ejecting the tapes, tars up all the amanda
> > > config files and directories.  That tar ball then gets put two
> > > places (on two separate machines), each of which are backed up.
> > > So, if my amanda server completely dies, I'll still have my
> > > complete config and set up as of last night.
> >
> > So it looks as if I'm going to have to reinvent that wheel too.
> > I take it that must depend on the system, Jon L. tells me his
> > backups do contain all that.  I *think* he's doing solaris.
>
> Nothing to do with the system at all. It's just a little something added
> into the script which runs amanda each day - I presume at least 95% of
> amanda users run amanda from a cron driven script. A couple of lines in that
> /those (if you run more than one config) script(s) and bingo - indices
> safely squirelled away.

I think Gene was refering to his backup on Linux missing things like
amanda.conf, tapelist, disklist, ...  He attributed this to tar "honoring"
locks on these files during backup.  I noted to him that my backups on
Solaris do not seem to lack these files.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)