Amanda-Users

Re: Strange message(apologize)

2002-11-13 07:22:28
Subject: Re: Strange message(apologize)
From: Christoph Scheeder <christoph.scheeder AT scheeder DOT de>
To: Kablan BOGNINI <kbognini AT yahoo DOT fr>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:49:17 +0100
Hi,
no problem at all, thats the usual way things go.
I pointed you to the archiv, as these problem was widely discussed
and there are quite a lot of opinions about it.
just too many to melt them down into one mail.....
Christoph

Kablan BOGNINI schrieb:
Thanks very much for your quick answer.

I post my message directly in the list without looking
in the archives.

The message was for one of my production servers which
need to be absolutely backuped up. And i was very
confused.

In the future i will search the archives before post
here.

Thanks again.

 --- Christoph Scheeder
<christoph.scheeder AT scheeder DOT de> a écrit : > Hi,

first, its a STRANGE message not an ERROR message.
second, for my reading it means the following:
You are using vxdump on an active filesystem, and
some files
changed while the dump was done.
these files won't be correct revoverable, but most
of your
dump should be ok.

if you use any version of dump keep in mind it was
designed
to take backups from an inactive filesystem,
either unmounted or mounted read-only.
Nevertheless most dump-programs do a good job on
more or
less active filesystems.
Most backups will be recoverable fine, but some
files/dir's
may be corrupted badly.
If you can't live with that, take your servers to
single-user-mode
before running backups or use tar,  or snapshots, or
whatever
tools exist for your filesystem to freeze them or
get snapshots.
This task pop's up 2 or 3 times a year on the list,
so for the
various arguments on which program to use best,
please read the
list-archives.

more for the list:

!!!I DON'T WANT TO START THIS DISCUSSON AGAIN
PLEASE!!!

Christoph