Amanda-Users

Re: Strange error message

2002-11-13 05:24:41
Subject: Re: Strange error message
From: Christoph Scheeder <christoph.scheeder AT scheeder DOT de>
To: Kablan BOGNINI <kbognini AT yahoo DOT fr>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:51:23 +0100
Hi,
first, its a STRANGE message not an ERROR message.
second, for my reading it means the following:
You are using vxdump on an active filesystem, and some files
changed while the dump was done.
these files won't be correct revoverable, but most of your
dump should be ok.

if you use any version of dump keep in mind it was designed
to take backups from an inactive filesystem,
either unmounted or mounted read-only.
Nevertheless most dump-programs do a good job on more or
less active filesystems.
Most backups will be recoverable fine, but some files/dir's
may be corrupted badly.
If you can't live with that, take your servers to single-user-mode
before running backups or use tar,  or snapshots, or whatever
tools exist for your filesystem to freeze them or get snapshots.
This task pop's up 2 or 3 times a year on the list, so for the
various arguments on which program to use best, please read the
list-archives.

more for the list:

!!!I DON'T WANT TO START THIS DISCUSSON AGAIN PLEASE!!!

Christoph

Kablan BOGNINI schrieb:
Hi all,

This is the error message i receive from amanda report
when i try to backup one of my servers.
It is running SCO UnixWare 7.1.1.
How could i fix this ?
I don't understand exactly what the error means ?

/-- sfin-ux2   /u03 lev 1 STRANGE
sendbackup: start [sfin-ux2:/u03 level 1]
sendbackup: info BACKUP=/usr/sbin/vxdump
sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/usr/local/bin/gzip -dc
|/sbin/vxrestore -f... -
sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
sendbackup: info end
| vxdump: Date of this level 1 dump: Wed Nov 13
01:31:11 2002
| vxdump: Date of last level 0 dump: Thu Nov  7
01:27:53 2002
| vxdump: Dumping /dev/rdsk/c0b0t0d2s1 (/u03) to
standard output
| vxdump: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
| vxdump: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
| vxdump: estimated 16112548 blocks (7867.46MB) on
0.01 tape(s).
| vxdump: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
| vxdump: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
| vxdump: 2.39% done, finished in 3:23
| vxdump: 4.67% done, finished in 3:24
| vxdump: 7.00% done, finished in 3:19
| vxdump: 9.74% done, finished in 3:05
| vxdump: 15.17% done, finished in 2:19
| vxdump: 20.36% done, finished in 1:57
| vxdump: 25.88% done, finished in 1:40
| vxdump: 33.70% done, finished in 1:18
| vxdump: 34.52% done, finished in 1:25
| vxdump: 35.98% done, finished in 1:28
| vxdump: 37.90% done, finished in 1:30
| vxdump: 40.50% done, finished in 1:28
? vxdump: inode bmap failure inode 51 offset 0
| vxdump: 42.98% done, finished in 1:26
| vxdump: 46.80% done, finished in 1:19
| vxdump: 48.40% done, finished in 1:19
| vxdump: 50.05% done, finished in 1:19
? vxdump: inode bmap failure inode 88 offset 0
| vxdump: 57.74% done, finished in 1:02
? vxdump: inode bmap failure inode 90 offset 0
| vxdump: vxdump: 4790031 tape blocks
| vxdump: level 1 dump on Wed Nov 13 01:31:11 2002
| vxdump: vxdump is done
sendbackup: size 4790031
sendbackup: end
\--------