Amanda-Users

Re: How can I skip tapes from backups that were missed due to system down?

2002-11-12 12:41:31
Subject: Re: How can I skip tapes from backups that were missed due to system down?
From: Dave Sherohman <dsherohman AT westling DOT com>
To: "Amanda (E-mail)" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:31:10 -0600
On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 02:36:34PM -0000, Kevin Passey wrote:
> My tapes are labelled mon,tue,wed etc.
>
> I want to use tue tape but amanda is expecting fri - how can I skip fri and
> mon tapes.

This is a perfect example of why you don't want to label your tapes
according to when you expect to use them.  They _will_ get out of sync
with the calendar.

Anyhow, unless you have amanda configured with runspercycle < 3,
you really don't want to do this.  Tape tue contains full backups of
filesystems which have not had another full since last Tuesday and you
will be overwriting them.  This will continue through a full tapecycle
(which I assume is a week), which means that, if Something Bad happens
within the next week, you may not be able to restore all of your data.

All that said, if you really, really, want to do this, change the dates
in your tapelist file.  Amanda will ask for the least-recently used tape,
based on the usage dates in that file.