Amanda-Users

Appending to tapes

2002-11-12 10:35:43
Subject: Appending to tapes
From: Chris Marble <cmarble AT odin.ac.hmc DOT edu>
To: nc AT ncartron DOT com
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 06:53:33 -0800 (PST)
Nicolas Cartron wrote:

> I want to install Amanda on a production environment,
> backup server on FreeBSD and clients running Linux, Solaris or FreeBSD.
>
> I read in the section dedicated to Amanda (in the 'Unix backup & recovery',
> O'reilly) the following lines :
>
> AMANDA currently starts a new tape for each run and does not provide a
> mechanism to append a new run to the same tape as a previous run

If you wanted to keep one week's worth of history and ran backups 5 days
a week then you would have to have 5 tapes.  A single days tape may have
a mix of full and incremental backups on it but they will all be from the
same Amanda run.
With careful use of a holding (spool) disk you can alter this behavior.
Write backups for 2 or 3 days to disk and then use amflush to write them
all to a single tape.
Hope I've answered some of your questions.
--
  Chris_Marble AT hmc DOT edu - HMC UNIX Systems Manager