Amanda-Users

Re: GNU tar file problem with long filename

2002-11-05 17:20:23
Subject: Re: GNU tar file problem with long filename
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 17:03:36 -0500
On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 12:17:20PM -0800, Jerry wrote:
> I wonder if you create a long file by that name with
> "touch" then try to tar and untar it if it will report
> an error?
>
> --- Murf <jam AT philabs.research.philips DOT com> wrote:
> > We're using amanda and GNU tar (1.13.25) to backup a
> > new Netapp to a Solaris 8 Sun.
> >
> > The first pilot users moved to the Netapp went fine, and then amanda
> > started acting up.  The symptom was tar was grinding on one of the CPUs

> > .  What I've traced it back to, is one of
> > the users I migrated to the Netapp had a very long file name in his .kde
> > http cache
> >
> > Obviously nothing he tried to create.  Now the pathname is 131 chars long,
> > and the basename of the file is 101 chars.  By renaming the file tar went
> > along happily.

> > Has anyone else seen similar behavior?

I've a Solaris 8, x86 version with two gnutars, 1.13 that comes on the
"Companion CD" and a self-compiled 1.13.25 in addition to the standard tar.

I created a directory with a set of 15Kb files, each with names 5, 15, 25,
... long out to 305 chars.  The OS prevented creation of anything beyond 255.

The standard /usr/bin/tar bombed out at anything over 100 chars.

The two gnutar's both handled creation of a tarball of this directory and
of recovery from either's tarball.

I did not check if a long pathname to the directory would make a difference.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)