Amanda-Users

Re: GNU tar file problem with long filename

2002-11-05 15:35:23
Subject: Re: GNU tar file problem with long filename
From: Jerry <juanino AT yahoo DOT com>
To: Murf <jam AT philabs.research.philips DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 12:17:20 -0800 (PST)
I wonder if you create a long file by that name with
"touch" then try to tar and untar it if it will report
an error?

./xxx/.kde/share/cache/http/r/www.redhat.com_docs_manuals_linux_RHL-7.3-Manual_getting-started-guide_figs_disks_xcdr1.png_5a13234a

> Obviously nothing he tried to create.  Now the
> pathname is 131 chars long,
> and the basename of the file is 101 chars.  By
> renaming the file tar went
> along happily.
>
> I did some web and Amanda archive searches looking
> for a reference to this
> problem and came up with nothing on point.  Of
> course I always second
> guess myself on the search criteria used.
>
> Did I miss a known issue with gnu tar?  And I
> thought it odd that the
> "error" condition would be to sit and spin on a CPU.
>

> Has anyone else seen similar behavior?
>

> Thanks,
> Murf
>
> /usr/local/gnu/bin/amanda-tar --version
> tar (GNU tar) 1.13.25
> This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent
> permitted by law.
> You may redistribute it under the terms of the GNU
> General Public License;
> see the file named COPYING for details.
> Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.
>

> root      7554 45.8  0.5 2200 1936 ?        R
> 18:00:01 811:11 /usr/local/gnu/bin/amanda-tar
> --create --file /dev/null --directory
> /moria/vol/vol0/Research --one-file-system
> --listed-incremental

/usr/local/amanda-2.4.3/gnutar-lists/castle_moria_vol_vol0_Research_0.new
> --sparse --ignore-failed-read --totals
> --exclude-from

/tmp/amanda/sendsize._moria_vol_vol0_Research.20021031180001.exclude