Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover questions

2002-11-01 17:40:33
Subject: Re: amrecover questions
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Galen Johnson <gjohnson AT trantor DOT org>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 17:31:22 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 at 4:59pm, Galen Johnson wrote

> > I also have an issue with recover in that it deletes files when the
> > incremental is restored.  I can almost understand why.  It seems that
> > if the files aren't included in the incremental (and they won't be if
> > they haven't changed) the tar command seems to assume that the files
> > have been removed and deletes them to have the directory appear to be
> > in the "same state" as it thinks it was.  Anyone else run into this?
> > Is there some subtle configuration I'm missing?

Sorry, I didn't quite understand this the first time.  This seems like a
tar bug.  What version are you running?  If it's recent, I'd report it to
the tar maintainers.  If not, try the latest.

> I need an answer for this...if amrecover is gonna botch the restores I'm
> gonna have to find a different solution which I would prefer not to do
> since I like relative ease of Amanda.  I'm using 2.4.3 with tar...which
> I suspect may be part of the problem since the arguments ot restore are
> 'xpGvf' but I'm not familiar enough with how the old gnu style used to work.

You could always just 'amrestore' the tar images off the tape(s) and
fiddle with the tar options to see if you can get it do what you
want/what it should...

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering