Amanda-Users

Re: Strange problems with HP Colorado 20GB

2002-11-01 12:33:47
Subject: Re: Strange problems with HP Colorado 20GB
From: Christoph Scheeder <christoph.scheeder AT scheeder DOT de>
To: Per Lundberg <per AT capio DOT com>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 18:20:18 +0100
Hi,
from my experience the original HP-Colorado-drives do not work reliable under
the newer Linux-kernels. My drives stoped working in the early 2.2.x tree.
They seemed to backup fine using the scsi-emulation, but restore was impossible.
Using the original ide-tape-devices failed completely.
Try if you can put valid data on it using tar or dd, and if you can get it back.
If not, i would suggest to get a non hp colorado-drive.
Christoph

Per Lundberg schrieb:
Hey folks,

I'm having some very weird problems with Amanda 2.4.2p2 running on Linux 2.4.18 using an HP Colorado 20 GB drive. All operations seem to fail with an "Input/output error". The drive is detected properly, and I've tried using it both in IDE mode and using the ide-scsi module.

Any clues? (except for the fact that the drive may be damaged, I haven't tried it in any other OS except for Debian GNU/Linux)

(Please *send CCs* to me since I'm not on this mailing list. Thank you!)