Amanda-Users

Re: [amanda-users] Some Basic questions about rewinding/non-rewinding tape drives

2002-09-23 23:48:37
Subject: Re: [amanda-users] Some Basic questions about rewinding/non-rewinding tape drives
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Vlad Popa <vlad.popa AT sbg.ac DOT at>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 23:19:01 -0400
On Monday 23 September 2002 12:23, Vlad Popa wrote:
>Hello dear amnda-folks,
>I do have some basic questions I did not have found in the docs or
> in the FAQ's :
> I have a Seagate Travan NS 8 tape and  i am runnig intel-based
> Debian woody (3.0)    and  the latest amanda (it seems to be
> 2.4.3b4) compiled from scratch with user amanda, group backup,
> samba support.
>
>  I've succeeded in making some  tar -backups on /dev/st0 by hand
>.
>Amanda requires a non rewinding tape, as I have read from the
> docs.
>

>How could I access the tapedrive with amanda which is a rewinding
> device, not a non-rewinding ?
>
> Could it be that  /dev/nst0 would be physically the same device
> (e.g. my travan tape ) as /dev/st0 without the rewinding option ?

This is correct.  In *most* cases the difference is that the
rewinding device will rewind the tape as the file is closed.  The
non-rewinding device does not, thereby placing the rewind duty
squarely in amanda's lap, where its properly handled.  Not to worry
in other words, when amanda wants it rewound, she will do it.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M