Amanda-Users

Re: [amanda-users] Some Basic questions about rewinding/non-rewinding tape drives

2002-09-23 14:24:57
Subject: Re: [amanda-users] Some Basic questions about rewinding/non-rewinding tape drives
From: Martin Schwarz <Martin.Schwarz AT toplink-plannet DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 20:04:17 +0200
Hello Vlad,

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 06:23:22PM +0200, Vlad Popa wrote:
> How could I access the tapedrive with amanda which is a rewinding device, not
> a non-rewinding ?

In my setup (a Debian 3.0 i386 system as yours), I use
        tapedev "/dev/nst0"

>  Could it be that  /dev/nst0 would be physically the same device (e.g. my
> travan tape ) as /dev/st0 without the rewinding option ?

That's correct. The manpage for st (the SCSI tape driver) shows:

        /dev/st*  : the auto-rewind SCSI tape devices
        /dev/nst* : the non-rewind SCSI tape devices

Perhaps you will also find the mt (magentic tape) manpage helpful.
The mt tool allows you to manually operate your tape device.

Greetings,
Martin.