Amanda-Users

[amanda-users] Some Basic questions about rewinding/non-rewinding tape drives

2002-09-23 12:42:22
Subject: [amanda-users] Some Basic questions about rewinding/non-rewinding tape drives
From: Vlad Popa <vlad.popa AT sbg.ac DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 18:23:22 +0200
Hello dear amnda-folks,
I do have some basic questions I did not have found in the docs or in the
FAQ's :
 I have a Seagate Travan NS 8 tape and  i am runnig intel-based Debian woody
(3.0)    and  the latest amanda (it seems to be 2.4.3b4) compiled from
scratch with user amanda, group backup, samba support.

  I've succeeded in making some  tar -backups on /dev/st0 by hand
.
Amanda requires a non rewinding tape, as I have read from the docs.

How could I access the tapedrive with amanda which is a rewinding device, not
a non-rewinding ?

 Could it be that  /dev/nst0 would be physically the same device (e.g. my
travan tape ) as /dev/st0 without the rewinding option ?

Sorry for annoying, but I'm very new to backup and tapes. Perhaps theese
questions might be  good points in the Howto that is currently written .

Thanks for help at first  and many greeting from Salzburg/Austria

Vlad

Vlad Popa

vlad.popa AT sbg.ac DOT at