Amanda-Users

Re: fullbackup

2002-09-20 21:22:38
Subject: Re: fullbackup
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>, Marcus Schopen <marcus.schopen AT uni-bielefeld DOT de>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 20:58:42 -0400
<marcus.schopen AT uni-bielefeld DOT de> wrote:
>> Frank Smith wrote:
>>> --On Friday, September 20, 2002 17:46:28 +0200 Marcus Schopen

>>> Looks OK.  Don't forget to use a dumptype with 'record no'
>>> for your weekly or you will hose your daily schedule.
>>
>> Thanks for answering that fast.  But I don't understand the
>> 'record no' thing. The DudeWeeklySet is a totaly different
>> config. Why or how can it overwrite my daily stuff that runs on
>> a different config with a different set of tapes.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Marcus
>
>Dump keeps track of the times and levels of the last dump of each
>filesystem by saving the times in /etc/dumpdates.  Since tar
> doesn't really have the same concept of levels, Amanda fakes it
> by writing similar information in /etc/amandates.
>   Neither one has any idea of multiple configs, so the same file
>will get updated each time you run any of your configs.  So when
>your 'weekly full' runs it will update the file, and then when
>your 'daily' runs, it will be expecting to back up files newer
>than the last 'daily' run, but dump or tar look for files newer
>than the times in the dumpdates/amandate file and will only be
>backing up files newer than the time of the 'weekly' run.
>  The end result is that your daily set of tape may be unable to
>restore the entire filesystem.  Your weekly set should be OK
>since its always a full.
>
>Frank
>that y

Excellent explanation Frank, thanks, I needed that.  But this also
points out that the fix would appear to be fairly simple, just a
matter of moving the location of this dumpdates/amandates file to
where ever that keyword points to in the individual amanda.conf.

Or is this something thats carved into whatever stone dump/tar is
cut from, and not an amanda function?  The latter case, amandates,
certainly seems to indicate its an actual amanda function and
therefore subject to being whatever the coders want it to be
including its location.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M