Amanda-Users

Re: Help with HP Ultrium 1/20 tapedev

2002-09-17 12:26:25
Subject: Re: Help with HP Ultrium 1/20 tapedev
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Eiseg Feuer <eiseg AT ichaos DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 12:08:33 -0400
On Tuesday 17 September 2002 11:12, Eiseg Feuer wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We just recently switched from older hp surestore DLT 3000 library
> to one of the newer SureStore 1/20's with a Ultrium drive.  I had
> amanda working under the old setup just fine, on this new setup I
> can't seem to get everthing up and running.  I can run the test
> chg-zd-mtx from the tpchanger and get no errors, plus I can load
> & unload tapes using mtx but the moment I try to run amtape
> DailySet1 command it just hangs.  Any ideas from anyone?  (I've
> checked permissions & ran everything as root just to be sure, so
> it's not a permission issue).
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>##### cut from amanda.conf
>tpchanger "chg-zd-mtx"
>changerfile "/etc/amanda/config/changer"
>tapedev "/dev/nst0"
>changerdev "/dev/sg16"
>
>tapetype Ultrium                # what kind of tape it is (see
>tapetypes below)
>labelstr "^.*$" # label constraint regex: all tapes must match
># Actually tape label string is AA1234L1, AA1235L1, etc...
>

>##### Cut from changerfirstslot=1
>lastslot=19
>cleanslot=20
>autoclean=0
>autocleancount=999
>havereader=1
>offlinestatus=0
>offline_before_unload=0
>
>##### Ultrium tape from amanda.conf
>define tapetype Ultrium {
>    comment "just produced by tapetype program"
>    length 103998 mbytes
>    filemark 533 kbytes
>    speed 1912 kps
>}

Its possible that the new drive uses a diferent scenario for
accessing the drive vs the changer.  Some use LUN 0 for the drive
and LUN 1 for the changer, and some will use a different scsi bus
address for the changer.

 /var/log/dmesg might contain some clues about this, and you may
even have to rebuild amanda from the newest snapshot as the devices
used are compiled in.

Oh, and much of amanda will not allow itself to be run by root,
security measures and all that.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M