Amanda-Users

Re: amanda+Samba problem

2002-09-16 14:03:41
Subject: Re: amanda+Samba problem
From: Robert Haskins <rhaskins AT wn DOT net>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 13:44:43 -0400
Indeed, the issue was the fact that the speed and/or duplex of the upstream switch port changed, causing the estimates to time out. After increasing the estimate time to 1 hour, the backups took a very long time (something I have seen before), which pointed me at the speed/duplex mismatch.

Thanks for your help!

Christoph Scheeder wrote:
Hi,
such efects have shown up in the past for samba-shares where (AFAIR)
the estimation phase took longer then the normal timeouts in amanda
would allow. I guess at the time amanda stoped working, the E$ share
has grown over the triger line for this problem.
There was a solution a few weeks/month ago on the list, but i don't
remember what it was, so please search the list-archives for it.
Christoph

Robert Haskins wrote:

We have had amanda and Samba working for about a year now. Mysteriously a couple of weeks ago, the Samba (and local drive) backups stopped working. I can SMBOUNT the shares fine from the amanda server, but the backups fail. The error from the nightly report is:

newbackup. //NETALERT/E$ lev 0 FAILED [Request to newbackup.wn.net timed out.] newbackup. //NETALERT/C$ lev 0 FAILED [Request to newbackup.wn.net timed out.]
  newbackup. hda5 lev 0 FAILED [Request to newbackup.wn.net timed out.]
  newbackup. hda6 lev 0 FAILED [Request to newbackup.wn.net timed out.]
  newbackup. hda3 lev 0 FAILED [Request to newbackup.wn.net timed out.]
newbackup. /dev/hda1 lev 0 FAILED [Request to newbackup.wn.net timed out.]

One weird thing is the fact that the local device backups fail when the Samba drives are in the disklist, yet they backup fine when the Samba shares aren't there.

Any help you could provide would be great. Thanks!

--
Robert D. Haskins
WorldNET Internet Services