Amanda-Users

Empty dump files with amverify

2002-09-16 11:45:16
Subject: Empty dump files with amverify
From: John Woollatt <jwoollat AT mathworks.co DOT uk>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:22:13 +0100 (BST)
When using amverify to check some ufsdumps, I sometimes get the following
error message:

** Error detected (bruce._rel.20020912.2)
amrestore: WARNING: not at start of tape, file numbers will be offset
amrestore:   0: restoring bruce._rel.20020912.2
/sbin/restore: Cannot find file dump list
64+0 records in
64+0 records out

It is failing because the incremental dump has not backed up any files. If
I use ufsrestore with the 't' option on the client machine, it returns
only the prompt. Looking at the file with 'ivfs' I get the following:

sun2# ufsrestore ivfs bruce._rel.20020912.2 1
Verify volume and initialize maps
Media block size is 126
Dump   date: Thu Sep 12 14:17:43 2002
Dumped from: Thu Sep 12 14:15:07 2002
Level 3 dump of /rel on bruce.mathworks.com:/dev/md/dsk/d7
Label: none
sun2#

I'd like amverify to understand this, i.e. give a more appropriate output.

Comments please.

John Woollatt