Amanda-Users

Re: Tape technology

2002-09-12 13:17:22
Subject: Re: Tape technology
From: woods AT weird DOT com (Greg A. Woods)
To: Brian Jonnes <brian AT init.co DOT za>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 12:58:48 -0400 (EDT)
[ On Thursday, September 12, 2002 at 10:28:13 (+0200), Brian Jonnes wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Tape technology
>
> > about 1600 USD at the time.  Is it as dependable as tape? Time will
> > tell.  Can you take it offsite?  In a sense, yes, by cycling enough
> > drives thru each slot in the array and letting the raid rebuild

Well it wouldn't work well that way, though with a mirror of a pair of
mirrors you could remove either underlying pair of mirrored drives, then
add a new pair of mirrored drives and re-construct the outer mirror.
That way you'd have two copies of the data -- one could go off-site for
reduncancy and disaster recovery purposes and one could stay on-site for
quick retrieval.

Maxtor announced low-priced 320GB drives just the other day....

> I'm not really keen on this idea. Although relative to the price of a DDS
> drive it is affordable (for just one or two harddrives). My main problem is
> that the drives will be handled by average users. Hrm.

Put the drives in canisters.  Good ones add to the cost, but that's the
only way you'll be easily able to hot-swap ATA drives anyway.

By this point I probably wouldn't be using amanda though -- unless I had
disk-full clients that couldn't run rsync.

--
                                                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods AT ieee DOT org>;           <woods AT
robohack DOT ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods AT planix DOT com>; VE3TCP; Secrets of the Weird <woods AT
weird DOT com>