Amanda-Users

Re: Tape technology

2002-09-12 09:21:00
Subject: Re: Tape technology
From: Brian Jonnes <brian AT init.co DOT za>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:28:13 +0200
First off, thanks to all for the info; I at least now have a base from which
to start.

> the small business with say 5-10 major machines to backup, a
> dedicated software raid server with a rack of big drives, running
> rsync, also has a cost and speed advantage.  I know of one such
> setup with a capacity of 320 gigs in 4 160 gig drives that does its

Hell, you might as well start talking Coda to me. Which is another
possibility.

> about 1600 USD at the time.  Is it as dependable as tape? Time will
> tell.  Can you take it offsite?  In a sense, yes, by cycling enough
> drives thru each slot in the array and letting the raid rebuild

I'm not really keen on this idea. Although relative to the price of a DDS
drive it is affordable (for just one or two harddrives). My main problem is
that the drives will be handled by average users. Hrm.

..Brian
--
Init Systems  -  Linux consulting
031 767-0139    082 769-2320    brian AT init.co DOT za