Amanda-Users

Re: tapetype

2002-09-11 08:57:09
Subject: Re: tapetype
From: Mozzi <linux AT mostert.nom DOT za>
To: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:32:44 +0200
Gene Heskett wrote:
On Wednesday 11 September 2002 06:28, Mozzi wrote:

Hi again all

When running typetype what do I spesify as my type size ?
I have a 40/80 Gig dlt tape drive
so will my command be
typetype -e 40 -f /dev/nst0 -t Tandberg VS80 DLT
or
typetype -e 80 -f /dev/nst0 -t Tandberg VS80 DLT
?

Turn off any hardware compression first, and *leave it off*, then
try the first version.  With hardware compression on, the data from
/dev/urandom will expand somewhat and tapetype will return an
amount thats conservative, probably by double digit percentages.

Amanda needs to know how much the tape can hold because she counts
bytes being sent to the medium AFTER
Cool so we want the "real" capacity witch is 40 Gigs
 any compression she might have
been told to do via your chosen dumptype in the disklist.  Since
software compression can, except for already compressed archive
files, very handily beat the socks off the hardware rll, you'll get
quite a bit more real capacity out of a tape with software.  One
session last week had nearly 7 gigs of src, on tape it was well
under 2gigs, using less than half a DDS2 tape.

In your disklist, don't compress directories full of archives, and
do compress the other stuff unless the email from amanda says the
compression was over 100% for that entry, which tells you the data
grew.

Tnx a lot

Mozzi