Amanda-Users

Re: tapetype

2002-09-11 07:34:12
Subject: Re: tapetype
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Mozzi <linux AT mostert.nom DOT za>, amanda <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 07:09:09 -0400
On Wednesday 11 September 2002 06:28, Mozzi wrote:
>Hi again all
>
>When running typetype what do I spesify as my type size ?
>I have a 40/80 Gig dlt tape drive
>so will my command be
>typetype -e 40 -f /dev/nst0 -t Tandberg VS80 DLT
>or
>typetype -e 80 -f /dev/nst0 -t Tandberg VS80 DLT
>?

Turn off any hardware compression first, and *leave it off*, then
try the first version.  With hardware compression on, the data from
/dev/urandom will expand somewhat and tapetype will return an
amount thats conservative, probably by double digit percentages.

Amanda needs to know how much the tape can hold because she counts
bytes being sent to the medium AFTER any compression she might have
been told to do via your chosen dumptype in the disklist.  Since
software compression can, except for already compressed archive
files, very handily beat the socks off the hardware rll, you'll get
quite a bit more real capacity out of a tape with software.  One
session last week had nearly 7 gigs of src, on tape it was well
under 2gigs, using less than half a DDS2 tape.

In your disklist, don't compress directories full of archives, and
do compress the other stuff unless the email from amanda says the
compression was over 100% for that entry, which tells you the data
grew.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M