Amanda-Users

spam to amanda-users

2002-09-10 16:29:01
Subject: spam to amanda-users
From: Todd Kover <kovert AT omniscient DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:12:21 -0400
Please, please, please, let's take discussion of what to do about spam
on amanda-users offline.

It does nobody any good to debate dealing with spam on the list and it's
unquestionably off-topic as much as the spam itself is.  If it will
make people feel better, I'll setup an unmoderated open list called
amanda-lists-spam-discussion AT amanda DOT org to give you a place to vent
about it.

To be frank, the list is not a democracy and it does no good to debate
the topic here, especially since I (the guy who hosts the lists) do
not read amanda-users that closely these days (it's as time permits
but it's low on my list -- my day job is too consuming).  All it's
accomplishing is aggrevating folks.

Given that over 50% of messages to amanda-users come from
non-subscribers (I've done occasional spot checks of this over the past
five or so years I've run amanda-users), it seems inappropriate to me to
restrict it to non-subscribers.  There are many other philosophies on
this point and we can debate it again and again, but that won't likely
change anything.

All that having been said, (and with this message, I've probably already
annoyed a bunch of people who will be sending unsubscription requests
some thoughts on how to deal with the spam better, and will likely be
dropping something into place that interacts with spamassassin to make
non-subscribers whose messages cross it's thresholds to have to manually
acknowledge that they meant to send it. (similar in theory to the auth
mechanisms in place with majordomo when you describe).

This will likely not happen until at least October when I expect spare
cycles to write up and test the scripts to do this.  If someone is aware
of something out there that already exists that does something along
those lines please send mail to be privately and it will likely get done
a lot faster.

If you'd like to volunteer to write such a beast, please let me know
privately.

If you'd like to debate this matter with the people right now who can
affect any change whatsoever, please direct it at postmaster AT amanda DOT org
and not to the mailing list.  However, that's most likely going to just
delay implementation of the above since I'll be spending more time
dealing with discussing what to do than actually doing. :-)

please, please please do not reply to this message including the list
and let's get the messages back to discussions about amanda.

-Todd