Amanda-Users

Re: amlabel question

2002-09-10 15:29:20
Subject: Re: amlabel question
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Galen Johnson <gjohnson AT trantor DOT org>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 15:04:49 -0400
On Tuesday 10 September 2002 14:29, Galen Johnson wrote:
>woohoo...I'm actually making progress...amcheck actually completed
>mostly without errors (mainly because I stupidly left the disklist
> at the default that came with amanda...silly...silly).  I also
> forgot to label my tapes (I am currently in the process of this).
>  Now the question...I have a 7 tape magazine...I'm gonna have to
> set runtapes to 2...I was planning to start sequentially labeling
> the tapes (daily000, daily001,...), should I label them 0-6 and
> then label the next magazine 7-13 or some other scheme?...docs
> aren't very clear on that.
>
>I still am not too clear on the dumpcycle, runcycle, tapecycle,
>motorcycle, etc rules yet...alas more perusing of docs...
>
>=G=

If you leave the scheduling to amanda, and not overpower her with
the first disklist, you'll find that a good sized system can still
be put on a single DDS2, 4 gig tape.  I'm doing a 46 gig drive here
on one tape a night.  Amanda will adjust the schedule to level out
the tape useage from night to night.

Don't use hardware compression because that hides the tape size from
amanda.  Use software compression, which is usually much better at
smunching tings anyway, and amanda who counts bytes going to the
drive, will then know pretty exactly how much tape is available.

Don't compress that which is already compressed, it will expand
(usually).

Label the tapes sequentialy, using a pattern you define in
amanda.conf.  See the current define in there now.

Dumpcycle is how long amanda has to do a level 0 on everything in
the disklist, '1 week' or '7 days' is typical.

Motorcycle?  I'm not sure amanda has that option, or even if I ever
had a girl named Amanda on the princess pad.  But they're fun, I
put half a million+ miles on several down thru the years, at one
point using one for a chair car for a couple of years, rain, snow
or shine.  Just make sure you've got a hard hat you'd trust your
brains to, you never know when you might use it up. I used up 2 of
them in 40 some years.  Snell rated hats obviously.

Tapecycle is how many tapes in the rotation, and one should have at
least 2*runtapes*dumpcycle(in days) in the rotation. 3x is prefered
by some including me in order to have at least 2 good fulls on tap
if needed.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M