Amanda-Users

Re: Problems using the file: device AND Mixing Amanda versions

2002-09-08 15:42:12
Subject: Re: Problems using the file: device AND Mixing Amanda versions
From: Niall O Broin <niall AT magicgoeshere DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 12:59:03 +0100
On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 08:45:59PM -0400, Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:

> amanda-2.4.2p2 and 2.4.3b4 are compatible.

That's good to know - at least I won't have to upgrade amanda on all the
clients.

> You must know that the file: driver is limited by the maximum file size
> of your filesystem.

I know that and I did mention in the "Problems using the file: device" post
that all the clients and servers are capable of handling files >2GB but I
didn't mention it again in the "Mixing Amanda versions" post.

> I can't imagine how you can get the error [input: can't open:: No such file
> or directory].

Neither can I, hence the post :-) And I'm a little concerned that YOU can't
imagine how I got it either. I now suspect that perhaps there was some
clash between my new test server and the old server with two backups running
at the same time. This was not intentional, and I deliberately changed the
old backup's start time to avoid such an occurence, but perhaps I didn't
leave enough margin. The fact that a subsequent run on the new server
succeeded (when the old server was definitely NOT doing a backup) makes that
explanation all the more likely. The subsequent run BTW created several
files >2GB.

> Your other disks failed because moca:/ failed (dump to tape), you
> should use a larger holding disk.

I'm not using a holding disk at all - it doesn't seem to make sense when
using the file: device. Perhaps I'm wrong there ? I don't know enough bout
amanda's architecture. Perhaps it is a good idea to use a holding disk, even
with the file: device, because of the ineraction between dumpers and tapers ?

Thanks for your patience on this one people - I'm quite comfortable with
Amanda now, in no small part thanks to the help of this list when I was
getting started, but I find myself with new questions now that I'm starting
to use the file: device and I hope you can bear with me.

Kindest regards,

Niall  O Broin