Amanda-Users

Re: statistics

2002-09-05 06:04:41
Subject: Re: statistics
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: "Chris Herrmann" <chris AT faredge.com DOT au>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 05:39:01 -0400
On Thursday 05 September 2002 00:52, Chris Herrmann wrote:
>Thanks Gene! Hopefully you've answered my question without me
> needed to ask it :o)
>
>I'm assuming I need to upgrade tar on the client machine, not the
> amanda server...?

Where ever its actually being used, which I'd assume would be both
client and server at various times in the backup nightly run.

>Are there any source tarballs of tar floating around? The tar
> located:
>
>ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/tar/
>
>is 1.13.19
>
>which comes with RH7.1... there's an rpm for 1.13.25 but i'll need
> to upgrade some libs
>error: failed dependencies:
>        libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.3)   is needed by tar-1.13.25-4
>
>which I'm not keen to do unless I really have to.

The 1.13-25 version is on alpha.gnu.org now for about a year, but
the tarballs of either will compile just fine on your machines as
long as the developer stuff is on them.

FWIW, 1.13-19 is also reported to work well with amanda.  I was
automaticly recommending the latest just because its the latest I
guess :-)

[...]

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M