Amanda-Users

Re: dumps fail: data timeout

2002-08-28 16:44:11
Subject: Re: dumps fail: data timeout
From: Amy Tanner <amy AT real-time DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 15:31:50 -0500
On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 01:13:32PM -0700, Jay Lessert (jayl AT accelerant DOT
net) wrote:

> Sounds unlikely.  You don't get data timeout from a tape drive.

What I meant was that because we switched to a new tape changer, we
decided to turn on hardware compression and turn off software
compression.  Perhaps the change of compression choices is the source of
the problems.

> Since you're apparently running dump on a Linux ext2 file system (I
> don't think you ever said for sure), the first thing to do is to make
> sure you're running a dump/kernel combination that's reasonably
> robust.  I'm don't know much about that subject, but the folk at
> http://dump.sourceforge.net/ do.

Yes, we're running dump on linux ext2.  However, the kernel and dump
versions have not changed from when they were working until now (not
working).

Here are the combinations we are using on the 2 machines in question:

2.2.16-22smp & dump-0.4b19-4
2.4.2-2fddi & dump-0.4b21-3

Also, note: some file systems on these 2 machines DO dump successfully,
and some don't.  And it's not always the same ones that fail or succeed.
I can't find a pattern.

> If you do decide to try gtar, make sure you get a good version
> of *that*, also!  :-)

Will do - thanks!
--
Amy Tanner