Amanda-Users

Re: dumps fail: data timeout

2002-08-28 16:14:07
Subject: Re: dumps fail: data timeout
From: Jay Lessert <jayl AT accelerant DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 12:56:54 -0700
On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 02:30:41PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> 3600 certainly does seem like enough, thats ten hours!

Nope.  1 hour.  I've seen seen data timeout failures on incrementals
for file systems with very large numbers of small files with
dtimeout=1800, FWIW.

Amy asked:
> >If the dump is timing out, shouldn't amanda properly kill the
> > processes though?

It's supposed to.  On 2.4.2p2/Solaris 8, I've witnessed that *not*
happen at least once, though.  The client sendbackup process finally
got ready to send data, found that the server had closed the sockets on
it and quietly died.  Left tracks in sendbackup.*.debug.  It was a pretty
minor annoyance, I didn't pursue it.

> >Will the using hardware compression cause the dumps to take
> > longer?

No.  Assuming you're dumping to holdingdisk, hardware compression (no
compression, from Amanda's POV) will make sendbackup finish earlier.

--
Jay Lessert                               jay_lessert AT accelerant DOT net
Accelerant Networks Inc.                       (voice)1.503.439.3461