Amanda-Users

Re: query/initial setup

2002-08-26 23:10:19
Subject: Re: query/initial setup
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Galen Johnson <gjohnson AT trantor DOT org>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 22:49:58 -0400
On Monday 26 August 2002 15:47, Galen Johnson wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>  I realize that amanda may be overkill for what I want but...has
> anyone setup amanda to use a Sony DDS2 tape device?  I'm
> currently running the 'tapetype -f /dev/nst0 -e 8g' command to
> verify the tape itself.  Of course, the 8g is compressed instead
> of normal.  Has anyone already configured a tapetype in the
> config file to address the DDS2 tapes?  I'm in the initial stages
> of setting this up so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> (After I play around with my system I get to try it with a
> production system that uses an Exabyte EZ17 Mammoth autoloader in
> place of a veritas system that wouldn't handle the changer).
>
>=G=

First, you may as well ctl-c the tapetype run as the info you get
when the drives compression is on is pretty bogus.  The tapetype
program uses /dev/urandom as the data source, and as its random,
its not normally compressable, and may in fact expand some.

Second, heres mine.
--------------------------
define tapetype DDS2 {
    comment "just produced by tapetype program"
    length 3780 mbytes
#   lbl-templ "/usr/local/etc/amanda/DailySet1/DDS2.ps"
    filemark 0 kbytes
    speed 380 kps
}

Note that by using one of amanda's dumptypes that uses compression,
the compression ratio can be quite a bit higher than the drive can
do.  I have half a dozen directories that regularly exceed 100% in
< 20% out.
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M