Amanda-Users

could not get changer info specify a number as tape_device [0-9]

2002-08-26 19:05:29
Subject: could not get changer info specify a number as tape_device [0-9]
From: "Chris Bourne" <cbourne AT xapnet DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 15:52:45 -0700
Hello,
   I need help with figuring out why amanda is giving me these errors. First off I am using Sony 20/40G dgd 150p tapes on a Dell powervault 120T DDS-4 autoloader on RedHat 7.2. I am using a chg-scsi config..

I was getting this error message.

amcheck-server: could not get changer info: specify a number as tape_device [0-9]

Does anyone know what it means??? So I changed the tapedev in amada.conf from "/dev/nst0" to just "0" and I no longer get the specify a number as tape_device [0-9] part anymore. Now I get ..........

bash-2.05$ /usr/sbin/amtape DailySet1 label DailySet101
amtape: scanning for tape with label DailySet101
amtape: could not get changer info: open: /dev/sg1: Success
I am really confused about how this whole tape changer stuff works. I don't understand how amanda will find the tapes if tapedev is set to "0" or how to get these tapes to just rotate nightly. Any help thanks,

Chris Bourne

Chris Bourne
Systems/Network Administrator
Xapnet